| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us
top_img
J Korean Soc Ther Radiol Oncol > Volume 24(4); 2006 > Article
The Journal of the Korean Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology 2006;24(4): 223-229.
Paclitaxel and Cisplatin with Induction Chemotherapy Followed by Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy for Stage IIIB Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
Ki Mun Kang, Gyeong Won Lee, Hoon Gu Kim, Jung Hoon Kang, Won Seob Lee, Gyu Young Chai
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea. jsk92@gnu.ac.kr
2Department of Internal Medicine, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea.
3Gyeongsang Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea.
ABSTRACT
PURPOSE:
Combined modality therapy including chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy is considered the standard of care for the treatment of stage III non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of paclitaxel and cisplatin with induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy for stage IIIB NSCLC.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Between July 2000 and October 2005, thirty-nine patients with stage IIIB NSCLC were treated with two cycles of induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy. The induction chemotherapy included the administration of paclitaxel (175 mg/m2) by intravenous infusion on day 1 and treatment with cisplatin (75 mg/m2) by intravenous infusion on day 1 every 3 weeks. Concurrent chemoradiotherapy included the use of paclitaxel (60 mg/m2) plus cisplatin (25 mg/m2) given intravenously for 6 weeks on day 43, 50, 57, 71, 78 and 85. Thoracic radiotherapy was delivered with 1.8 Gy daily fractions to a total dose of 54~59.4 Gy in 6~7 weeks (median: 59.4 Gy).
RESULTS:
The follow up period was 6~63 months (median: 21 months). After the induction of chemotherapy, 41.0% (16 patients) showed a partial response and 59.0% (23 patients) had stable disease. After concurrent chemoradiotherapy, 10.3% (4 patients) had a complete response, 41.0% (16 patients) had a partial response, and the overall response rate was 51.3% (20 patients). The 1-, 2-, 3-year overall survival rates were 66.7%, 40.6%, and 27.4% respectively, with a median survival time of 20 months. The 1-, 2-, 3-year progression free survival rates were 43.6%, 24.6%, and 24.6%, respectively, with median progression free survival time of 10.7 months. Induction chemotherapy was well tolerated. Among 39 patients who completed the entire treatment including chemoradiotherapy, 46.3% (18 patients) had esophagitis greater than grade 3 and 28.2% (11 patients) had radiation pneumonitis greater than grade 3.
CONCLUSION:
Paclitaxel and cisplatin with induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy for stage IIIB NSCLC seems to be an effective treatment. Occurrence of esophagitis and pneumonitis represents a significant morbidity and suggests a modification of the treatment regimen, either with the chemotherapy schedule or with radiotherapy treatment planning.
Key Words: NSCLC, Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy
Editorial Office
Department of Radiation Oncology,
Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine,
81 Irwon-Ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06351, Korea
TEL: +82-2-3410-2612  E-mail: rojeditor@gmail.com
Copyright © The Korean Society for Radiation Oncology. All rights reserved.                      developed in m2community
Close layer
prev next