| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us |  
top_img
J Korean Soc Ther Radiol Oncol > Volume 16(2); 1998 > Article
The Journal of the Korean Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology 1998;16(2): 177-184.
Palliative Radiotherapy for Brain Metastases
Seong Sun Jang, Woo Yoon Park, Won Dong Kim
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea.
ABSTRACT
PURPOSE:
Radiotherapy has been the mainstay of the treatment of brain metastases. We evaluated the response rate, survival and prognostic factors of patients with brain metastases treated with radiotherapy for palliative purpose.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
From January 1994 through April 1997, in all 42 patients, a retrospective analysis was undertaken. Of these, 33 patients received whole brain irradiation with 30Gy in 10 daily fractions with or without a boost of 10Gy in 5 daily fractions to the site of solitary lesion. Nine patients failed to complete the planned treatment.
RESULTS:
Of 33 patients who finished radiotherapy, complete and partial response were observed in 4 (12%) patients and 22 (67%) ones, respectively. Overall response rate was 79% and median survival was 4 months. In univariate analysis, prognostic factors affecting survival were initial neurologic function class (p=0.0136), extracranial tumor activity (p=0.042), and response after radiotherapy (p=0.001).
CONCLUSION:
We confirmed that whole brain irradiation is the effective means for treating the patient with brain metastases. Initial neurologic function class, extracranial tumor activity, and response after radiotherapy were identified as prognostic factors affecting survival.
Key Words: Brain metastases, Radiotherapy, Prognostic factor
Editorial Office
Department of Radiation Oncology,
Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine,
81 Irwon-Ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06351, Korea
TEL: +82-2-3410-2612  E-mail: rojeditor@gmail.com
Copyright © The Korean Society for Radiation Oncology. All rights reserved.                      developed in m2community
Close layer
prev next