| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us |  
top_img
J Korean Soc Ther Radiol > Volume 9(2); 1991 > Article
Journal of the Korean Society for Therapeutic Radiology 1991;9(2): 205-213.
A Comparision of Radiotherapy Alone with Induction Chemotherapy-Radiotherapy in Inoperable Head and Neck Cancer
In Kyu Park, Sang Mo Yun, Sang Bo Kim, Samuel Ryu, Jun Sik Park
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea.
2Department of Otolaryngology School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea.
ABSTRACT
In order to determine the value of induction chemotherapy (CT) for inoperable head and neck cancer, the authors conducted a retrospective study. Fifty-five patients were treated with CT and radiotherapy(RT)(CT + RT group). This group was compared with a group of 54 patients treated RT alone (RT alone group). The CT regimen used were CF (cis-platine + 5-FU), CVB(cyclophos-phamide + vincristine + bleomycin), CAP (cyclophosphamide + adriamycin + prednisolone) or PVBM(cis-platine + vincristine + bleomycin + methotrexate). Toxicity from induction chemotherapy was minimal, and toxicity was limited primarily to nausea and vomiting, mucositis and myelosuppression. The complete response (CR) rate to CT was 14.5% and the partial response (PR) rate was 47.3% for an overall major response rate of 61.8%. The major response rate at the completion of loco-regional therapy was 87.3% (48/55) with 32 CR (58.2%) and 16 PR (29.1%) for CT-RT group and 81.5% (44/55) with 27 CR(50.0%) and 17 PR (31.5%) for RT alone group (p=0.57). Median follow-up of CT-RT group was 17 months and 11 months for RT alone group. Median survival was 36 months for CT-RT group and 24 monts for RT alone group (p=0.3). The overall survival rate at 2 years, 3years and 5 years, respectively was 60.9%, 48.6% and 42.5% for CT-RT guoup, and 54.9%, 49.9% for RT alone group (p=0.33). Comparision between patients in both groups, stratified by overall stage, T and N stage, site, and pathology, all failed to show any significant difference in survival rates. We conclude that this retrospective study failed to demonstrate an advantage for induction chemotherapy in inoperable head and neck cancer.
Key Words: Head and Neck cancer, Induction chemotherapy, Radiotherapy
Editorial Office
Department of Radiation Oncology,
Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine,
81 Irwon-Ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06351, Korea
TEL: +82-2-3410-2612  E-mail: rojeditor@gmail.com
Copyright © The Korean Society for Radiation Oncology.                      Developed in M2PI
Close layer
prev next